I’ll start with the easiest, actual excuses that I hear from people:
- They “ain’t interested in politics” – mostly because they are too ignorant to understand that whether or not they are interested, politics affect parts of their lives that they really are very interested in fixing. Also because they’ve been told that it isn’t polite or wise or good or something to discuss religion and politics because everyone has an asshole and they all stink or something equally stupid and sad to hear actual adults say.
- They *think* their vote won’t count – mostly because stupid people tell them that and they are very gullible.
- They *think* both parties are the same – mostly because stupid people tell them that and they are very gullible.
- Some very misguided, harmful person told them to sit out and "teach the party a lesson" which really just hurts them and everyone else.
And then the others that apathetic non-voters don’t always admit but that are obvious to me and probably other honest, thinking people:
- No one has looked them in the eye and said, “Please, tell me you are okay with seeing me suffer without healthcare, or without a home, or without food, or without a job, because that is what will happen to me if Republicans get control,” and then held them responsible for not going to the polls and voting for Democrats and ruining the lives of many.
- If they can’t have the unicorn and the pony and chocolate eclairs for breakfast every day, they aren’t voting. A puppy and a kitten and Coco Puffs won’t be good enough and they would rather have a rattle snake, a brown recluse spider, and salmonella for every meal.
- They *like* what some fool was saying, even if it wasn’t true and that fool has been an unsuccessful, unethical, unpopular slob his entire life. They are unable to discern between pipe dreams and reality and the pipe dreams make them feel good for a minute. If the candidates won’t promise pipe dreams that can never come true, they aren’t getting their votes.
- They think government is a bad thing because they live small lives and only associate with ignorant people who tell them that government is a bad thing.